You want to check out the city ahead of the crush of the 2020 Summer Olympics, here’s a bit of travel music to see the city. City sounds, traditional sounds, the modern and the antique are all part of Japanese culture and music.
You arrive and the country is at your feet:
Traditional: Sakura Sakura
Time to slow down, and perhaps a nap?
Takemitsu: Subete wa usuakari no naka de (All in Twilight): II. Dark
Taki: Kojo no tsuki
Ifukube: Ballata Sinfonica: II. Seconda ballata: Andante rapsodico
Perhaps a concert or a movie?
Ohki: Symphony No. 5, “Hiroshima”: VI. Elegy
Miyazaki: Shimabara no Komoriuta
Ifukube: Godzilla, King of the Monsters: Main title theme
Let’s go play pachinko!
Pachinko in Your Head
- Destination Brazil Brazil and its main city, Rio de Janeiro, came to life for many people
- Destination Rome The city of Rome is a city of ancient forums and modern traffic
- Destination Cairo One side of the river are the modern buildings of today
- Destination Dublin We associate Dublin, and, perhaps, all of Ireland with folk music.
- Brett Dean’s The Lost Art of Letter Writing Letters of Brahms, Van Gogh, Hugo Wolf and Ned Kelley in music
- How Influence Carries
Perilous Night From Cage to Johns to Crumb Music of John Cage & George Crumb and painting of Jasper Johns
- Frog Music How does frog inspire classical composers?
- Musical Tributes: Brahmsiana, Rossiniana, Segoviana and Telemanniana How composers paid tribute to Brahms, Rossini, Segovia and Telemann