Cairo – the ancient and modern city. One side of the river are the modern buildings of today, and on the outskirts of town is the Giza plateau with the familiar pyramids and the sphinx. The city itself is a mix of modern roads and dusty pathways threading through walled passages, and so our music reflects that old/new mix.
You arrive and the country is at your feet:
Rabaud: Marouf, savetier du Caire (Marouf, Cobbler of Cairo), Act III, Scene 2: Dances
Burki: Weltreise Suite (World Journey Suite): IV. Cairo
Handel: Once We Were Slaves
Strauss II: Egyptischer, Op. 335
Time to slow down, and perhaps a nap?
Courson: Symphonie Egyptienne (after Mozart’s Symphony No. 25 in G Minor, K. 183)
Haydn: L’incontro improvviso, Hob. XXVIII: 5: Act II: Ma come arrivaste qui in Cairo?
Massenet: Thaïs, Act II: Meditation
Perhaps a concert or a show?
Fleischer: The Ballad of Expected Death in Cairo
Mozart: L’oca del Cairo, K. 422: Duet: Così si fa
Warren: Abram in Egypt
Rossini: Mosé in Egitto: Act III: Dal tuo stellato soglio
- Destination Brazil Brazil and its main city, Rio de Janeiro, came to life for many people
- Destination Rome The city of Rome is a city of ancient forums and modern traffic
- Destination Dublin We associate Dublin, and, perhaps, all of Ireland with folk music.
- Destination Beijing The new city of the new century, Beijing has grasped the future and has taken its history with it.
- An Obsession with Bach and the Requiem
Ysaÿe’s Second Violin Sonata Discover the story and listen to recordings
- Sergei Rachmaninoff
Transcriptions and Arrangements Listen to his arrangements of Bach’s Violin Partita and more!
- Children’s Play or Adult Play: Jumping Rope and Skipping Classical Music Inspired By and Written For Children
- Heroic Adventures for Guitar
Carlo Domeniconi’s Sinbad, a Fairy Tale 7 voyages through the seas ‘east of Africa and south of Asia’