ARTICLE OF THE WEEK
Discover why the organ is one of the most versatile instruments
- Pleasure and Pain: on being an amateur pianist Alan Rusbridger's book 'Play It Again' shone inspirational light
- Those Who Can, Teach Performing and teaching do not necessarily go hand in hand
- Mily Balakirev: Islamey, “Oriental fantasy for piano” Discover the inspirations of this "unplayable" piano work.
- The Barenboim Grand Combining modern instrument with historic sound quality
- Camille Saint-Saëns at the Piano He was regarded as “the greatest composer without talent.”
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
Pianistic traditions and contemporary sensibility
Gary Graffman and Yuja Wang Yuja Wang is deliberately vague about her emergence as a prodigy.
MUSIC OF THE WEEK
Taiwanese composer Chiayu (b.1975) took inspiration from the Chinese Zodiac for her 2008 composition Twelve Signs. She uses the characteristics of the 12 animals to give definition to each movement through tempo, tonality, and melody. The first movement, Rat, is part of an arching program based on the trines.