ARTICLE OF THE WEEK
The cook and the musician, food and music, had a lot in common.
- Ten Tips for Productive Practice When it comes to practising instruments, most people are concerned about quantity.
- The Pianist’s Solitude The pianist’s life is, by necessity, lonely. Why?
- The cup of water that took away Tchaikovsky Despite the rumours about his suicide at the time, the reality is that Tchaikovsky most probably died from cholera.
CRAP—I Don’t Know What Comes Next!
Memorizing Tips A memory slip can destroy your confidence when playing in a concert.
- Stephen Hough’s Rough Ideas Intelligent prose on musicians, concerts, arts and culture
- Rhythm on the brain, and why we can’t stop dancing Music and dance are far from idle pastimes.
MUSIC OF THE WEEK
Quayle musically characterizes his life in New York as a graduate student at NYU, including a labour strike, the struggles with completing a Ph.D., and the chaos of the city all in one quartet.