ARTICLE OF THE WEEK
Happy Halloween! Scare your neighbours or scare yourself with these music selections!
- A Forgotten Composer: Thieriot’s String Trio Learn more about Thieriot’s finest chamber music
- Music and the Arts in the Middle Ages Learn more about the Gregorian chants and renaissance artworks
- Reflections on the Leeds Piano Competition in 2021 “Regrettably, the ultimate winner Alim Beisembayev did not appeal at all to my musical instincts.”
“Beyond the Eccentricity of Planet Pogorelich” What makes her one of the most highly sought after pianists?
- Quiz: the Life, Inspirations and Music of Debussy La chute de la maison, La Mer, La Revue Blanche... How well do you know these works?
- Forgotten Pianists: Vladimir Sofronitsky Born in St. Petersburg, he studied at the then-Petrograd Conservatory.
MUSIC OF THE WEEK
In the Overture, we open with a storm motif before presenting the Dutchman and Senta motifs. This was the first opera where Wagner uses musical cues that are linked to specific characters and themes. The storm leitmotif is one such.