When Athens was at its height of development in the 2nd century BCE, the rest of Europe was nowhere. When Europe reached its height of development in the 19th century, Athens was nothing – a mere 100 houses huddling below the iconic Parthenon. Now, however, it’s the source for all Greek culture and has taken pride in conserving its heroic past. Musically, it has inspired composers from all over the world in all genres from classical to jazz with everything from its architecture to its stories.
you arrive and the country is at your feet:
Strong: From a Notebook of Sketches, Suite No. 2, “Athens”: III. Entering the Parthenon
Purcell: The History of Timon of Athens, The Man-Hater, Z. 632: A Symphony of Pipes Imitating the Chirping of Birds
Yagisawa: Ancient Agora of Athens: The Morning of the Market
Time to slow down, and perhaps a nap?
Farkas: Timon of Athens: II. Dinner Music
Petyrek: 6 Greek Rhapsodies: No. 1. Athens
Perhaps a concert or a show?
Beethoven: Die Ruinen von Athen, Op. 113: Overture
Ellington: Timon of Athens: Overture: Black and Tan Fantasy
Kalomiris: Tryptych: I. Prelude: Moderato appassionato
Theodorakis: Ti Thelo (What I Want)
- Destination Brazil Brazil and its main city, Rio de Janeiro, came to life for many people
- Destination Rome The city of Rome is a city of ancient forums and modern traffic
- Destination Cairo One side of the river are the modern buildings of today
- Destination Dublin We associate Dublin, and, perhaps, all of Ireland with folk music.
Carl Maria von Weber: Inspired by Turandot
“Overture and Marches” for Turandot, Op. 37 The use of pentatonic melody “air chinois”
“In a Chinese Temple Garden”
Exotic Mood Pictures by Albert Ketèlbey How do critics think about Ketèlbey’s orchestral music?
Overtures by Franz von Suppé (1819-1895)
From Popeye to Betty Boop Can you recognize these tantalizing overtures from your favourite cartoons?
- Primavera and the Seasons: How Nature Influences Music Enjoy these evocative music from Beethoven to Philip Glass!